Alan Miller & Dr. David Overbey

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

VOTE for TYLER ALLEN

One thing I do like about our country is that we still vote and do actually have a potential to make a difference in how our country is run. Voting alone is not nearly enough and sadly Americans tend to glorify and sentimentalize voting rather than seeing it as a civic responsibility that is part of a larger political system. In any case, I'm happy to say I voted today regardless of how meaningless my vote is to the bigger picture. Nobody gives a shit what I think, and since I'm not John Stewart or Steven Colbert it will never matter how smart or funny I really am. The point in America is to be a mindless groupie, not to appreciate human richness in all kinds of different people. It doesn't matter if you're absorbed by TV celebrities or sports coaches; it's all a puerile fixation with media and vapid fantasy. My vote matters because it matters to me. I do not role play the corpse and do not let the apathy and antagonism of my peers wear me down so that I become like them (yuk!). No matter how meaningless my peers try to make me feel I remember that the real reason writers write is for themselves.

Anyway, I voted today and I'm not going to tell you who I voted for except to tell you that I voted for Tyler Allen. He is the only candidate with concrete ideas that speak to Louisville's urgent needs to revitalize its downtown through a light rail transport system and eliminating overdepedence on the automobile, which obviously undermines public safety, environmental sustainability, and community vibrance. We have government to provide leadership because the life cycle is always moving forward. Most Louisvillians, the other candidates, most Americans in general checked out shortly after high school, or college at the latest, and are just slumbering through a never-ending routine, teaching themselves to be helpless, corporate butt plugs.

3 comments:

  1. This is an endorsement for Tyler Allen for Louisville mayor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that endorsement and voted for him myself. We need progressives in public office.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers