Alan Miller & Dr. David Overbey

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ogre-oid: UK Values Coal Co. Sponsorship Over Wendell Berry

Despite being in opposition to its own naming rules and its supposed mission as a land-grant University as well as over the protests of faculty and alumni, the University of Kentucky has decided to name the new dorm for it's basketball team the "Wildcat Coal Lodge" in honor of Big Coal's sponsorship. Perhaps Kentucky's best known writer and also a UK alumnus and former teacher there, Wendell Berry has decided to remove all his donated papers from U.K. and transfer them to the Kentucky Historical Society in Frankfort. "I don't think the University of Kentucky can be so ostentatiously friendly to the coal industry ... and still be a friend to me and the interests for which I have stood for the last 45 years. ... If they love the coal industry that much, I have to cancel my friendship." [more]

I have a feeling the President of UK would publicly suck the cock of Tony Hayward if he would donate a few million to the University's basketball program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers